Thursday, November 8, 2012

Recipe Book Review!

I got a great new recipe book this weekend, and it made me think about the ones I already have. I have to admit I don't have many. I have always just used weigh watcher recipe books, for the convenience of things being pointed for me. I realised this weekend that its really not that difficult to work the propoints out. So I am going to start investing in some other low fat recipe books but for now this review will be very heavily Weight Watcher recipe book based.


The Hairy Dieters
This is my newest book and it instantly became my favourite. It is full of recipes of really hearty food. I think there is only one recipe in the whole book that I do not like the look of, and that just because I am not a fan of gammon! Admittedly I have only actually tried one of the recipes, but it was so easy and absolutely gorgeous. It was the Salmon with Chilli Ginger Sauce  and the sauce was beautiful. Made me even more excited to try the rest.


Top of my to try list:

  •  Chicken Tangle Pie
  •  Gorgeous Fish Stew with Garlic Croutons
  •  Old Fashioned Chicken & Veg Stew
  •  Baked Haddock, Spinach & Egg Pots
  •  Minted Pea & Feta Omelette




The Complete Kitchen 
This was my go to book before. It is by far the best out of any of the other Weight Watcher recipe books I have tried. It is very comprehensive and has all sorts of recipes, from very basic sauces, breads, and stocks - to full roasts and dinners. It breaks things down very easily too which makes the recipes super easy to follow. Great for beginners and just an all around good book to have around.

Some of my favourites:

  •  Puy Lentil, Pepper & Goats Cheese Salad
  •  Spicy Fishcakes with Chermoula Sauce
  •  Lasagne
  •  Wine-glazed Duck Breasts with Figs
  •  Marbled Meringues with Chocolate Mousse.








One Pot Meals
I bought this at my first weight watcher meeting back in january. It was the only one they had on sale and I was motivated and ready to go. I thought having one pot meals would be handy and easy, but I just was very rarely in the mood for most of the recipes in there. There is one recipe that I have made multiple times and thats the Vegetable Dhansk and it is gorgeous. I have a vegetarian friend, and this is one of my favourite vegetarian dishes to make when I have guests. I haven't actually made anything else from the book so for me it was a bit of a waste of money. I'm sure there are some lovely ones, just not for me.









Delicious
This is from the old plan and it would have been my go to book. There are a lot of similarities between this and The Complete Kitchen not quite as comprehensive or as geared towards beginners, but still has some fantastic recipes. Have converted some of the recipes to propoints and I do still use this book.

Some of my favourites:

  •  Breakfast Rosti
  •  Spicy Chicken Laska
  •  Beef Wellington Pie
  •  Crispy Salmon on Creamy Greens
  •  Spinach Gnocchi Gratin
  •  Chocolate Marshmallow Meringue Cake







Low Point & No Point
This is again another pre Propoints plan book. The recipes in this book are fine, I just really don't like the layout, and it really put me off using it and still does. In saying that there are some great recipes that I tried back in the days of the old points plan and I have actually used it since. So it wasn't a total waste. I just wish it was a little more user friendly in the layout. Not blown away by any of the recipes - but it is a good one to digout for something different if you happen to have it lurking.

Some favourites:

  •  Chicken Pad Thai
  •  Balsamic Lamb
  •  Mustard Pork Chops
  •  Chocolate Orange Brownies







Homemade Recipe Book
One of the easiest way to do things is to collect the recipes from the magazines each month. If you buy them anyway you may as well keep recipes you know you like the look of. For years I kept all of the magazines - full complete copies. Its only in the past month when I moved and had to really cut down on my collection of stuff that I went through them and put the recipes I wanted in folders. And its much easier that way. Easier to find what you want and even just have a flick through them. They are in plastic folders they wont get damaged as easily. To be honest I always buy the magazines, but they are pricey and its nice to have something to keep long term from it!









So thats all the ones I have at the moment. I would love to hear peoples suggestions for new recipe books to get, or if anyone has any of these some recipes to try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment