Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Butternut Squash and Chickpea Stew

I have a habit of using a lot of my daily propoints in work over lunch and in the afternoon. We have all free food in work and sometimes it is hard to resist ( i need to realign my will power a little). So to counter that I have been making ratatouille or veg curry to bring to work for lunch or to have for dinner after work when I have used most of my propoints. This week I decided to try something a little different and hopefully a bit more interesting and filling. Have only had a small taste but I think its yum and at only 2pp a serving its a perfect lunch.


Servings 4-6
Propoints 8 for the whole recipe, about 2 per portion

Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas drained
1 butternut squash cubed
2 onions, quatered and layers split
3 peppers (i use the multipack so one of each colour) - chopped in large chunks
4 cloves of garlic (i used 8 but i love garlic, 4 is more reasonable) - chopped roughly
2 tins of tomato
1tsp chilli flakes (optional)
1tsp sweetener
salt and pepper to taste

Spray a large pot with low cal cooking spray and add the onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then add the butternut squash.
Put a splash of water in the pot, cover and leave on a medium heat for 4-5mins.
Add the peppers and garlic and replace the lid cooking for a further 3-4 mins.
Add in the chopped tomatoes and then fill one can 3/4's with water and add this also. Stir in the chilli flakes and sweetener and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the butternut squash is tender, takes about 30 mins depending on the size of the squash cubes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chickpeas. Cook for a further 5 mins.

This can be eaten cold or reheated and should last a good few days in the fridge (I would eat it up to a week after).

This is the size of the pot it made - so there is plenty in there for good sized portions. The angle makes it look a like there is more space in the pot but believe me it is really full!  Enjoy :-)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. I love butternut squash and chickpeas and this seems to lovely, healthy and filling. Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete