Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chilli Con Carne




I have recently discovered the lowest propoint mince out there - only 13pp for 500g, almost half of usual lean mince. Its the tesco extra lean and its less than 5% fat (you have to look close for the small print) and not only that, but its on special at the moment making it even cheaper than the lowest quality mince out there. I would suggest stocking up for the freezer.  I have also realised I can now make my mozzarella stuffed meatballs for even lower propoints!


Also a few weeks ago we got a cast iron casserole dish, I love slow cooked chilli and this is the perfect way to do it. My recipe for this is my own spice mix and a mish mash of methods taken from a few different cook books. I have finally perfected the spice mix for this and thats why I am ready to share the recipe. The propoints/smartpoints for this are based on using the Tesco mince so if you use any other adjust the propoints/smartpoints accordingly. 

Serves: 4
Propoints per serving: 6pp
Smartpoints per serving: 6sp
Smartpoints on No Count: 1sp
Ingredients:
500g tesco extra lean beef mince
2 red onions chopped finely
5 cloves of garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes,
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
500ml beef stock made with one cube
2 -3 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp sugar
salt and black pepper

Preheat the oven to 150C. Heat the casserole dish to a medium heat and add the mince and the onion. Cook stirring constantly until the onions are soft and the mince is brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir through the chilli powder, paprika, coriander  cinnamon  cayenne pepper, cumin and cocoa powder and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly. 

Mix in the flour and add the kidney beans, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Slowly stir in the stock and add the oregano, bay leaves, sugar and season well. Bring to the boil and then put the lid on and place in the oven for 2-2.5hours, taking out to stir every so often. When cooked, adjust the seasoning to taste and serve. 

I had this with cauliflower rice. It was my first attempt at it and while I did like it, it was nothing like real rice. It added the bulk I needed to the meal without the propoints. It helps that I really like cauliflower cos the taste is most defnitely there. I topped it with 2pp worth of cheese - it looks like loads in the photo but I weighed it and its 30g. The chilli almost tasted better as leftovers today. The longer you leave it the more the flavours develop. This is one of my favourite comfort foods! So enjoy!***

*** The original photo taken with this was awful, so I have updated it for now with one where I served the chilli in taco shells! It's amazing served like this. I have since mastered cauliflower rice :)


No comments:

Post a Comment