Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Egg fried rice?

So I find the best way to spice up a stir fry is to make it egg fried. Gives the illusion of a take away but without all the extra points. The one I had tonight was beef stir fry but obviously can be made the same with any protein. I find it really handy to have a bag of frozen asian stir fry veg on standby (Green Isle do a great one with water chestnuts in it which are my favourite.) Then I can also throw in whatever veg I have in the fridge but bulk it up with the frozen veg. I find cooking for one buying veg the biggest problem, if i buy too much I waste it but I like the variety. Frozen veg in the stir fry is the way to go. 

Anyway so for the one I made earlier I have used:

150g lean beef - 6pp
Frozen Stir Fry Veg - 2 small handfuls
Mange Tout sliced
2 garlic cloves (i love garlic)
Chilli flakes to taste
1tsp sesame oil - 1pp
Soy sauce - 1tbs (or to taste if you like more)
1 medium egg - 2pp
Spray oil
60g (dry) rice - 6pp

Cook your rice according to pack instructions and leave drained ready to go. Put the sesame oil and garlic in your wok and wait for it to heat up. I find the garlic doesn't burn if its added when the oil is cold and heats with it. At this point you can also add ginger and fresh chillis if you have any. When this is hot add your beef (or other protein) and cook for 3-4mins. Then add the veg and cook for a further 3-4 mins. Add your chilli flakes and mix through and then push all of this to one half of the wok. Spray the exposed half with spray oil and crack your egg directly in. Scramble it with the wooden spoon quickly and when it is just cooked throw your rice on top and mix back through your veg and meat  and add your soy sauce. Wait til the rice is warm through and serve.

The egg definitely makes it more filling and satisfying, if you put in the rice at just the right point, before it is too cooked the egg will coat the rice just right too. So yeh just something to make a stir fry a little more fun! Let me know what you think :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment